Wednesday night saw the 5th meet-up and, as has become a bit of a theme, it was great fun and full of great whisky. The evening was set to be a good one with independent bottlers taking centre stage. It was made even better by the fantastic news that one of our members, a certain Mr Conor Strang, received a job offer the same day to go and be a professional distiller. This really is a great achievement and all of us at the club wish him the best of luck. Now we have a man on the inside we’re expecting preferential treatment at all spirit related events! ????
We again welcomed some new faces this month, with Adam, Chris, Guy and Gareth joining, Josh came to his second event and the usual suspects made it with Jez, Jason, Conor, Mikey, Shiv and myself attending. It was great to spend time with everyone and if things continue on the same trajectory we may well need the bigger room next month! The Bottlescrue did another sterling job with the food and kept us topped up with water throughout the evening.
As always we had a diverse selection of whiskies and it really showcased the value for money that the club can offer. Within the line up we had a Glenlivet at over 66% ABV from a 1st Fill Sherry Cask, an Adelphi bottling containing Hanyu whisky at 18 years of age, a quite lovely Allt-A-Bhainne finished in a PX cask, a very unusual Aberlour (that I embarrassingly thought was Highland Park ????) and many more to boot. The full list was as below:
- Independent Spirits of Bath Aberlour 17yo (46.0%)
- Adelphi ‘The Glover’ Hanyu, Longmorn and Glengarioch (48.6%)
- Gordon and Macphail Glen Scotia 1992 – 2014 (43.0%)
- Mackillop’s Choice Highland Park 1991 Sherry Wood (53.9%)
- Signatory Vintage for The Whisky Exchange Glenlivet 2007 (66.2%)
- Murray McDavid for the Spirit of Speyside Festival Allt-A-Bhainne 8yo (62.1%)
- Springbank 10yo (46.0%)
- Spirit of Hven Tycho’s Star Swedish Whisky (41.8%)
- Can Mor Laphroaig 6yo (46.0%)
- Amathus Drinks Michel Couvreur Overaged Malt Whisky (43.0%)
- Black Cock (40.0%)
- Four Square Habitation Velier Rum (64.0%)
The next meeting will take place on the 24th October 2018. The theme will be ‘my favourite bottle’, food will be provided and the cost is £20 for the evening, if you would like to come along please get in touch via the contact form. Everyone welcome.